Thursday, March 24, 2022

RBR Kemmelberg 0.1

I have begun creating a 7km stage from the Ypres Rally Belgium titled "Kemmelberg". I currently have the road mesh created and textured. Sector 1 also has detailed ground textures (preparation for release 0.2)

This project was started so I could learn more stage modelling techniques, and ultimately return to Serraglio to complete it. Unfortunately I once again need to take a break from stage modelling to focus of school. I fully intend to return to, and finish, both of these projects, They may however take a bit longer than I initially expected.

That being said, please learn about Kemmelberg Below!

Kemmelberg is a very fast and very narrow stage from the Ypres Rally Belgium. This rendition focuses on the first 7km that slowly climb Kemmel Hill in sectors 1 and 2. Then race down the 150m vertical in sector 3 to a flying finish.

Along with the narrow roads come a number of tarmac style changes, bumps, and huge cuts.


I found some 1m  Lidar data available from the Belgian national government. After combing through many files I found the area I needed. I've never worked with lidar data so accurate, so its been full balancing computer performance with mesh detail.

Full scan with stage route overlayed.

An intersection in sector 1 from the lidar scans (above) and with the road mesh shrinkwrapped to it (below)



To start modelling the stage I used the Blender GIS addon to get some satellite images of the roads and the surrounding area. After ensuring all of the satellite data was scaled correctly I drew the road and all important roadside features using the Grease Pencil.



Curve objects for each road used in the stage using the Blender GIS addon as well. Each curve was shrinkwrapped to the lidar data. Using the Array modifier I made a base road shape and copied it along each curve.


From then I connected the meshes and formed each intersection based on the grease pencil marks.



Each road was retextured to match its real surface, and the subsurf modifier was used to subdivide and smooth the mesh.




And for sector 1, The surrounding ground textures were added (en route to V0.2)




And finally, an onboard of Sector 1.




That's all for now, I hope to bring you another update soon!
Shane

4 comments:

  1. Already looking good! Good job mate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. waw awesome job , kemmel berg heuvelland my home region

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks great!!!All RBR fans will be looking forward to the results of your work!!!Patience and inspiration to you! :-)

    ReplyDelete

About Me

Hi! my name is Shane Howell. I'm a mechanical engineering / music double-major student studying at Western Michigan University in the US...