Saturday, February 20, 2021

RBR: Rally Monza Serraglio - V0.0

Today marks the first day of work on the Serraglio stage for Richard Burns Rally. 

Project goals

  • Learn techniques and procedures for making a RBR track
  • Document the process well
  • Create a guide of sorts for future mods
  • Learn more about efficient texturing and UV editing in Blender
  • Create an accurate recreation of Monza

I've wanted to create content for RBR for some time now, having owned the game for nearly 10 years I finally decided to take the plunge. Here is the Blender workflow I'm envisioning right now:
  1. Use GIS / LiDAR data to generate terrain base.
  2. Import KML route. Or use GIS to get OSM-Highways.
  3. Clean up contiguous segments of OSM – route and convert to curve.
  4. Create Drivable surfaces on terrain.
  5. Define tree wall locations.
  6. Model surrounding buildings.
  7. Model road surface in detail. (use height maps & Deformation)
  8. Add trackside detail.
  9. Bake all textures to objects.
  10. Vertex colors? (need to learn about how to use these)
  11. Export individual objects as FBX.
We'll see how that goes as I get into the project and start editing. That's all for now, wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Hi! my name is Shane Howell. I'm a mechanical engineering / music double-major student studying at Western Michigan University in the US...