Thursday, April 8, 2021

RBR: Rally Monza Serraglio V0.5

Big update, literally. V0.5 marks the completion of the large buildings on the Monza campus.

 The definition came through Open Street Maps. Anything that the GIS plugin would classify as a "building" I modelled and textured.

The GIS plugin adds the approximate shape of each building with a nominal height. 

This is what the top-down view looked like after adding all of my buildings.

The process was a little tricky at first, but luckily Monza is well documented on google images, youtube, google earth, and in almost every racing game. So I had plenty of resources to get reference images or photos from. My goal is to model the whole Monza campus, not just the parts used in the Serraglio stage, this way the grounds can be used for other stages, or just as a free-roam.

Below is a closer look at some of the buildings I created:









After booting up the stage in RBR things don't look terrible either. I can't say they look particularly stunning, but my hope is to do a ground & building texture overhaul in V0.9. To be fair, in the picture below there are now shadows or vertex colors. I also noticed my alpha textures didn't show up how I expected them to, but again, I'm not too concerned about it. I'm waiting to do most of my serious texture work when the RBR-Blender plugin is released. 



My plans for V0.6

I will be adding all of the smaller details along the stage that really bring it to life, I've broken them up into 3 categories:
  • Rally Objects: Anything specific objects only there for the rally, and impact how you drive the stage:
    • Haybales 
    • Arrows
    • Barriers
    • Timing Gates
  • Signs and Advertisement
    • Road signs
    • Placards
    • Billboards
  • Roadside Objects 
    • Fences
    • Vehicles
    • Spectators / Marshalls
    • Light posts
    • Small Buildings
As this is a pretty big task, I hoped breaking it up into these smaller segments would help it seem more achievable.

That's all for now, until next time,

Shane




3 comments:

  1. Great detail on the buildings, can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great detail on the buildings, can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Any updates on this one? What's the plan for the stage? Is it taken from the WRC round or the usual Rally Monza show event?

    ReplyDelete

About Me

Hi! my name is Shane Howell. I'm a mechanical engineering / music double-major student studying at Western Michigan University in the US...