Sunday, March 21, 2021

RBR: Rally Monza Serraglio V0.3

Since the last update I've made some good progress on the stage, but it'll be a shorter update this week as  there isn't a whole lot I did, just one process like 100 times...

After much work, I'm happy to unveil, the completed terrain and road mesh (what will become the "ground" mesh in Wallaby.


The large white cubes are placeholders for buildings, courtesy of Open Street Maps. This was a long process but I'm very happy with the results. I'm glad I decided to build the road network then add the terrain in between, I think for this stage in particular it worked well because it covers a relatively small area. I've also added a few new service roads to the top half of the map that weren't present in V0.2. 


My basic workflow was to select the area to fill in from edit mode, press 'F' to fill the area, and 'I' to inset faces. Once I got the hang of that things went pretty smooth.

In addition I've also created the banking and supports for the Monza Oval:

For texturing large areas like the parking-lots, I found it useful to select the faces I wanted to be tarmac, unwrap them ( 'U' then 'U') then unwrap them using a lightmap pack ('U' ; 'L' ; 'Enter'). After that I'd use the "Align Similar" function in UV Packmaster to get the UVs aligned, and place them over the tileable tarmac texture in my texture plate. 

For V0.4, my goals are as follows:

  • Further detail the terrain as my LIDAR data wasn't very exact. 
    • This will involve following along with the onboard footage and adding details as I see them
  • Learning to use Wallaby for basic track exporting
  • Creating a drivable test track that is the entire mesh from V0.3
  • Map out some basic vegetation placement, get an idea of what assets I need to create
Through some initial testing I understand Wallaby is a bit hard to work with at times, but that's okay, I'm looking forward to learning!

That's all for this update, until next time.
-Shane
 

2 comments:

  1. Shane, please pay attention to the correct size of the terrain. I have a bad experience that GIS in some cases do not adhere to the correct size.
    Happy blending :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I just found this out recently when creating trackside buildings, luckily I was able to get it sorted but before I got too far!

      Delete

About Me

Hi! my name is Shane Howell. I'm a mechanical engineering / music double-major student studying at Western Michigan University in the US...